Saturday, November 8, 2008

Stupid Questions

The most perfect conversations aren’t scripted, pre-planned or rehearsed. They are improvised and the inquisitive questions that come out of your mouth should not be ones you hear in a job interview because the interviewer can’t come up with anything more creative than what is already scripted. As if these questions really do work and challenge your mind on the fly. There are two questions I can’t stand and will avoid at all costs because they are circa 1995. “Where do you see yourself in five years” & “What do you like to do for fun”. I don’t have a five year plan, I spent most of my past life planning only to have plans never happen, get ignored and thrown under the rug. I know where I want to be next year, how’s that. Ask me if I have any idea what next year has in store for me. That’s a little bit more creative than the generic script of typical questions. Everyone has their own interpretation of what ‘fun’ is. To me, it ranges from poking fun at others which prompts me to write these things, to shopping. “Fun” can be anything. I always have fun, if I’m not having fun then I’m bored. I challenge my fans and friends and family for that matter to think of something other than the norm, and something that isn’t a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ question. Bring on the multiple choice questions and the ability to think on the fly and not feel that you had to wear an interview suit in order to continue the conversation.

No comments: